What is WASM?
WASM is short for Web Assembly.
- High-level means it’s convinient for humans, at the expense of performance (and security).
- An interpreted language differs from a compiled program, in the fact that it requires and intermediary to interpret it, while a compiled program speaks the language of the audience. By nature, a compiled program uses less resources.
Modern browsers run WASM programs. This opens up new possibilities:
- more performance = more power with the same hardware
- edge computing and edge AI (I believe this is underrated)
- next level SaaS, since more software applications will be able to run in a web environment (e.g. video editing, games, 3D printing)
C++, Golang, Rust, or Python…
Rust was the one I chose to train myself into rencenly. Golang is my go-to for microservices that are not that performance dependant. But Rust is the right tool for performance, when finding unique skills is not a problem.
With Rust, I decided to try three-d over kiss3d just because it has a backer that relies on that technology. So far, it has been a very straighforward experience comming from Three.js –appart from the Rust learning curve which is unprecedented.